TrailO European Championships: relay victories for Ukraine and Finland
The last event of the championships, the relay, gave victory to Ukraine in class P (Physically Challenged) and to Finland, defending champion, in class O (Open).
In Class O, the silver medals went to Denmark and the bronze to Norway. Teams of three (up to 2 teams per nation) competed on fairly hilly and rocky terrain with lots of outline detail near a large recreation area, which filled with locals one afternoon sunny after most of the event was conducted on a cool, cloudy morning.
Wheelchair competitors in the P class were helped by the organizers on the steepest paths of the course. Here, the winners, Ukraine, were challenged very closely by Sweden (silver) and Spain (bronze). Ukraine won silver in the last relay of the TrailO World Championships in Portugal in 2019.
Thus ends a technically difficult championship; the courses and the organization were greatly appreciated by all. The next big TrailO events are a “pre-WTOC” for the 2004 TrailO World Championships (WTOC) in the Czech Republic, and this year’s WTOC in Poland in July.
Main results – Relay
- Ukraine (Iryna Kulykova, Vladyslav Vovk, Valerii Lytvynov)
- Sweden (Inga Gunnarsson, Ola Jansson, Michael Johansson)
- Spain (Miguel Angel Garcia Grinda, Juan Emilio Montero Sanchez, Alejandro Aguilar Lara)
- Czech Republic, 5. Poland, 6. Finland
- Finland (Pinja Mäkinen, Petteri Hakala, Antti Rusanen)
- Denmark (Tobias Biering, Maria Krog Schulz, Johanne Biering)
- Norway (Arno Grønhovd, Geir Myhr Øien, Sondre Bråten)
- Sweden, 5. Italy, 6. Slovakia