Relay of the TrailO world championships: double for the Czech Republic
The relay event in Poland was a huge success for the Czech athletes, who won the O (Open) and P (Physically Challenged) categories today. Defending Class O champions Finland were unable to make the top six.
The scores were very tight and Finland’s loss was due to just one small mistake. But big credit goes to the winners; the Class O team’s average age is 22 and two of the team of three are still Juniors.
The open class silver medalists were Italy and the bronze medalists went to the team from Slovakia.
Hot in the forest today Photos: Natasza Frigiel
The order of medals in class P at the end was Czech Republic, Spain, Ukraine. Each competitor in each class had to do a PreO lap of 13 controls then two TempO stations. Athletes in the final stage performed the TempO stations in reverse order of ranking and in front of spectators who could see if the answers were wrong or correct by hand signals. It was a very hot day in quite hilly terrain, including a lovely Japanese garden.
Tomorrow is the TempO competition, with Qualification in the morning and Final in the afternoon.
- CZE (Hana Dolezalova, Pavel Dudik, Jana Kostova) 761 seconds
- ESP (Miguel Angel Garcia Grinda, Juan Emilo Montero Sanchez, Alejandro Aguilar Lara) 789
- UKR (Iryna Kulykova, Vladyslav Vovk, Valerii Lytvynov) 888
- ITA, 5.POL, 6.GBR
- CZE (Daniel Locker, Ondrej Macek, Pavel Ptacek) 351
- ITA (Alessio Tenani, Marcello Lambertini, Aaron Gaio) 385
- SVK (Jan Furucz, Simon Mizur, Pavel Bukovac) 393
- POL, 5. NOR, 6. SWE