Fosser and Alexandersson win Sprint World Cup in Borås
Last year’s overall World Cup winners Kasper Fosser (NOR) and Tove Alexandersson (SWE) got off to a great start in defending their title – both winning the individual sprint in Borås, Sweden. Sweden, Thursday.
The sprint took place in Sjöbo, a few kilometers north of the center of Borås, in housing estates between buildings with many controls and many route choices to make.
And here, Tove Alexandersson put in another incredible performance by winning by a margin of 29 seconds.
– It was so intense all the time with lots of controls. I didn’t have time to relax because I had to be focused the whole time, she said.
Fellow Swede Lina Strand finished second and Simona Aebersold (SUI) and Hanna Lundberg (SWE) shared third place – 53 seconds slower than Alexandersson.
– It feels good to be in shape when I have to be in shape. I trained a lot and this is the first week that I took it a little easier to have more energy. And it’s nice to feel the difference in the legs, says Alexandersson.
Overall, the Swedish women had a great day in Borås with six athletes finishing in the top 10.
On the men’s side, Fosser’s victory was much narrower after 4.3 kilometers on pavement and grass in Sjöbo.
Tim Robertson (NZE) was second six seconds behind and Belgian Yannick Michiels took third place one second ahead of Gustav Bergman (SWE).
“My legs haven’t felt this good in a long time. I struggled to come back from an injury so it was good to feel they were working again. Technically I also had a great race, says Kasper Fosser
– The stress fracture I had in October haunted me until today, so to be honest, I didn’t think it was possible to win. It means a lot to my confidence to get this win, Fosser said.
Find Web-TV, GPS tracking and results on IOF LIVE.
The World Cup round in Sweden continues on Saturday with the Knock-Out Sprint. Qualifiers start at 8:30 a.m. – quarter-finals at 2:30 p.m. and Web-TV stream (semi-finals and finals) from 4:00 p.m. CEST (UTC+2).
Follow the thrilling Knock-Out Sprint at: https://orienteering.sport/event/orienteering-world-cup-round-1-2/knock-out-sprint/
- Kasper Fosser, NOR 15:40
- Tim Robertson, New Zealand 15:46
- Yannick Michiels, BEL 15:51
- Gustav Bergman, SWE 15:52
- Matthias Kyburz, SUI 16:04
- Max Peter Bejmer, SW 16:05
- Tove Alexandersson, SWE 15:50
- Lina Strand, SW 16:19
- Simona Aebersold, UIS 16.43
- Hanna Lundberg, SW 16.43
- Emma Bjessmo, SUE 16.50
- Elena Roos, SUI 16:54
Photos: FOI/William Hollowell